Monday, October 5, 2009

Baking Oatmeal Choclate Chip Cookies

The other day my friend Jennifer mentioned these cookies to me, and I just had to try them! This recipe is in Central Baptist Bearden's new cookbook "Taste and See".


This is the first recipe that Ethan has helped me with from start to finish! We even had to pause at the end to run to the store for more M&Ms and more chocolate chips. He did really well, even if at least 1/3 of a cup of flour ended up on the floor and 1/3 cup of M&Ms ended up in his mouth.

The after shot:
The problem in the past has been that I don't like making cookies! Every time you have the envie for a warm fresh out of the oven cookie you remember that in addition to the time it takes to make the dough (not too bad) you have to be married to the oven for hours! Well, I have found a solution! Actually my friend Betsy has shared the solution with me:

My freezer:
Scoop and flash freeze about half of the batch of cookies! Now instead of spending money at the store for those "pull-apart and stick in the oven" cookies you have your own stash of read to be made goodness! After about an hour or two in the freezer on the cookie sheet, stick them in a marked ziploc bag and put them back in the freezer. You can freeze most cookie doughs for 3-4 weeks in a ziplock bag. Just pop them in the oven when you are ready (or just a few into the toaster oven) and get ready for warm chocolate goodness.
Enjoying the fruit of his labors

The funny part was while we were eating the cookies I asked Ethan who made them and he replied (in catechism fashion), "God!"

2 comments:

Betsy said...

It also helps portion control--you can pull out just the number of cookies you need for everyone to have a normal serving. The rest are still in the freezer.... slowing down the gluttony :)

Ethan & Asher's Mimi said...

What a great idea and what fun with the little one!!

Ethan's Mimi